We’re receiving a very high number of calls right now
To avoid the wait, you can file a claim, update your insurance and much more in your Online Services account.
We all want to be safe in our own homes. To do this, we need to eliminate potential risks before a serious incident occurs. There are some surprising safety hazards when it comes to everyday household items. Here are some common household items which are not as safe as we think:
While we often take for granted how useful a dishwasher is, we don’t take into a consideration how hazardous it is, especially around young children. When the dishwasher is open and children are near, they can reach in and grab a sharp utensil or a swallow detergent. If you are loading the dishwasher, be sure to point utensils downward and only fill the dispenser with detergent, when everything is ready to be washed.
- Charging cables
With all our technical devices, there are multiple charging cords. It’s important to make sure the cables aren’t left on the floor or low access points where children and pets can snatch them. Be sure to keep charging cables in a designated drawer or on a high shelf.
- Purses and backpacks
Sometimes we come home from work exhausted and merely toss our heavy purses and backpacks off to the side, without thinking. This should not happen if you have young children around. Many items in purses and backpacks such as medications, coins, beauty products and sharp objects are hazardous for the little ones. To prevent this, have a purse or backpack station near the front door, where you can simply drop off your bag when you’re tired.
It’s nice to decorate our living space with beautiful greenery. Although, we do need to consider choosing our household plants wisely. There are several household plants which are poisonous such as azaleas, daises, eucalyptus, hyacinths, hydrangeas, irises, monkshood, peonies and poison ivy. Certain types of succulents such as chrysanthemums, poinsettias and syngoniums can be poisonous if ingested. Keep all plants out of reach of any young children and pets. Contact your local poison control centre if you believe someone has been poisoned.
- Laundry detergent packets
Laundry detergent packets are quite harmful. Since they are brightly coloured and small, young children can mistake them for toys or an object to put in their mouths. It’s essential to keep packets out of their reach and sight. They can also erupt in a child’s hand. To keep the little ones safe, store laundry detergent packets in a hard-to-reach place. Contact your local poison control centre if you think a child has come into contact with them.
- Fridge Magnets
Proud parents love to display their children’s artwork on the fridge. The fridge magnets we use, are dangerous to young kids as they can be a choking hazard. When displaying artwork or photos on your fridge, place them up higher where children won’t be able to grab the magnets.
If you follow simple safety precautions and keep a vigilant eye out on young children, your home should be a stress-free and safe space. To keep your family protected, contact one of our licensed insurance advisors today ask about Desjardins Home Insurance.
Child-Proofing Your Home: A Priority For Parents
These tips are provided for information and prevention purposes only. They are general in nature, and Desjardins Insurance cannot be held liable for them. We recommend using caution and consulting an expert for comprehensive, tailored advice.
In Quebec, Desjardins Insurance refers to Desjardins General Insurance Inc. In Ontario and Alberta, Desjardins Insurance refers to Certas Direct Insurance Company, underwriter of automobile and property insurance.