You could always blame the manufacturer or the sales clerk for having oversold you on the features. The truth is taking a few precautions while using your washing machine could really save you a whole lot of trouble, not to mention precious dollars in expensive repairs.
- Level the washing machine: Install the washing machine at a level that is stable. An unbalanced machine can create quite a bit of rumble while spinning. Installing noise-reducing pads under the washing machine will reduce the sound and the wear and tear of the appliance when in use
- Avoid using hot water: Use warm or cold water for the wash cycle and the rinse cycle. Research has shown that most detergents work well with water that is moderately warm than hot. For clothes with tough stains, pre-soaking in hot water before washing can be more effective than a hot water machine wash.
- Use the right kind and quantity of detergent: Read the instruction manual on the recommended quantity of detergent for various levels of laundry. Also check for information on detergents to avoid. For example, detergent with excess suds will reduce the washing performance in a front-loading machine.
- Avoid overloading: One large load is certainly more efficient than several smaller loads, but then again don’t overload the washing machine. Too many clothes can cause the machine to break-down. An overloaded machine will not spin efficiently and will consume more energy.
- Regular cleaning: Clean the washing machine regularly to avoid build up of odor and detergent residue in the washing drum. Running a empty cycle with lime-scale remover or 2 cups of white vinegar will help. Clean the detergent dispenser and the top rim of the wash bucket. Use an appliance washer on the external surface to keep the washing machine looking like new.
- Regular maintenance: Keep an eye out for any signs of damage in the water supply hoses or electrical wiring of the washing machine. As a precaution change the machines water hoses once every 5 years even if there are no major signs of deterioration. However, if there is a major problem in the machine, don’t attempt to fix the machine yourself. Call an electrician or an appliance repair specialist. One of the most important aspects of maintaining your washing machine is to ensure that you have an extended warranty to cover expenses in case of major repairs.
Follow these simple guidelines for getting maximum mileage from your existing washing machine. The next time you buy a washing machine, remember that in the long-run it’s worth spending a few extra bucks on an energy-efficient appliance.