Your province

Skip to Content
null Moving Your Vehicle Across Provinces

Getting you and your vehicle licensed and insured for Alberta’s roads can be time-consuming.

You will need to:

  • Get your vehicle inspected
  • Get Alberta car insurance
  • Register your vehicle
  • Switch your driver’s license to an Alberta driver’s license

There are several steps you must take to complete the process, and typically, you have only 90 days from the first day you move to Alberta to complete them. Here’s how:

Get a Request for Vehicle Inspection form

Your vehicle will need to pass an out-of-province inspection before you can get Alberta plates and have your vehicle ownership transferred to your new province of residence.

You can get a Request for Vehicle Inspection form at any Alberta Registry office. It will cost around $10. You will need to bring your vehicle registration papers from your previous province of residence.

Get an out-of-province vehicle inspection

Note that you must have an out-of-province inspection completed within 14 days prior to registering your vehicle. If your timing is off, you will need to pay for another inspection! An inspection will cost $150 – $250, not including any necessary repairs that need to be made on your vehicle.

Book an inspection at a garage that is approved for out-of-province inspections. The mechanic will provide you with an out-of-province vehicle inspection certificate, which you will need to present at the Alberta Registry office when you are ready to register your vehicle. In some cases, additional mechanical work may be required for your vehicle, so it’s best not to wait too long to have the inspection. Remember the 14-day rule.

Buy Alberta car insurance

Before you can register a vehicle in Alberta, you MUST present proof of valid Alberta vehicle insurance – a pink card – issued from an Alberta insurance company. As time is of the essence, you can get quotes online from a number of insurance companies. Your premium rate will depend on your driving record, the type of vehicle you own, how it is used, your age and other factors.

Register your vehicle and get an Alberta driver’s license

Once again, you need to visit the Alberta Registry Office to register your vehicle and get your new Alberta driver’s license. It will cost around $150.

Be sure to bring your pink card, out-of-province vehicle inspection certificate, proof that you own your vehicle (such as a bill of sale), something that is proof of your address in Alberta (telephone or hydro bill, rental agreement or a pay stub as long as the piece of paper has your name on it), your passport, and your driver’s license from your previous province of residence.

You will be given new provincial license plates and your vehicle ownership will be transferred to your new province of residence at this time. Your photo will be taken for your new driver’s license. You’ll be given a temporary license to use, until your new one arrives in the mail. It is valid for five years.

After following these steps, you and your vehicle are approved for travel on Alberta’s roads.

One last thing. You will need to renew your vehicle registration annually at a cost of approximately $85. You will receive a notification in the mail when you are due to renew your registration.

Moving Your Vehicle Across Provinces

If you plan to live in Alberta, here are the things you need to know before moving your vehicule.

If you have recently moved or have plans to move to Alberta, there are some things you need to know about moving your vehicle to our province.

These tips are provided for information and prevention purposes only. They are general in nature, and Desjardins Insurance cannot be held liable for them. We recommend using caution and consulting an expert for comprehensive, tailored advice.

In Quebec, Desjardins Insurance refers to Desjardins General Insurance Inc. In Ontario and Alberta, Desjardins Insurance refers to Certas Direct Insurance Company, underwriter of automobile and property insurance.

Other related articles: