Your province

Skip to Content
null Pet Insurance: Questions & Answers

If pet insurance right for you? What are the coverage options? Or, moreover, is pet insurance even worth it?

Not to worry, thoughtful pet-owner: we’re here to help! Get peace of mind with the following pet insurance questions and answers.

Is Pet Insurance Worth It?

While the answer to this question varies from one pet owner to the next, and there is really no one-size-fits-all answer, the fact remains that pets can be expensive!

According to the Ontario Veterinary Medical Association, it costs around $2,900 to care for a puppy in its first year of life. Similarly, kitten ownership ranges from $1,850 to $1,950 in the first year. Afterwards, it costs dog-owners approximately $2,018.49 per year to care for their adult canines, and $1484.84 for feline owners.

From food to vaccines to chew toys and litter boxes, owning a pet really does add up! Add an unexpected injury or sickness to this yearly cost, and pet-owners are left paying even more for a pricey unexpected procedure or veterinary stay for their beloved pet.

This is where pet insurance comes in, and where the initial investment can be well worth it down the road!

How Does Pet Insurance Work?

Pet insurance works in much the same way as car insurance or home insurance, where policyholders pay a certain amount of money each month (their premium) in order to get help from their insurer covering the cost of treatment in case their pet ever becomes sick or injured.

What Are the Plan and Coverage Options?

At DesJardins, we understand that each pet and pet owner is unique in their circumstances and needs. That’s why we provide three different pet insurance options to fit you and your pet’s specific situation:

The Bronze Paw, our first option, offers up to $2,000 for accident and illness coverages, and optional dental care up to $500 per policy year.

The Silver Paw, our mid-range option, offers up to $4,000 for accident and illness coverages, with dental care up to $700 and optional additional coverages (including Alternative therapy, Behavioural therapy, and Medical devices) up to $350 per category.

Finally, the Gold Paw, our most extensive pet insurance option, offers unlimited accident and illness coverage, dental care up to $1,000, all additional coverages up to $350 per category, and Preventive Care Coverage including annual exams and preventive medication.

What’s Covered Under My Policy?

Whether you choose Gold, Silver, or Bronze Paw, your DesJardins pet insurance policy covers certain vet fees that you may incur due to pet accidents or illness, including x-rays, prescription medications, hospital stays and more.

The amount of coverage that you receive from your insurer depends upon your chosen plan – it’s important to review you and your pet’s needs thoroughly so you can choose the coverage level that’s right for you and your pet.

Can I Still Get Pet Insurance If My Pet is 10+ Years Old?

At Desjardins Insurance, we believe all pets deserve the same care and protection, regardless of age – our pet insurance is available to all pet owners, even those with older pets.

My Pet is Injured or Sick: How Do I Submit a Claim?

If your pet has become ill, or had an unexpected accident, you can have peace of mind knowing that your insurance company will help cover part of the expenses. Simply take your pet to the clinic as usual, and then pay the full amount of your bill when you receive it.

Then, complete the claim form, and make sure your veterinarian’s office signs it. Gather all of receipts from your visit, along with the completed and signed claim form, and submit them to us. You will be reimbursed for 80% of your vet treatment costs. The remaining 20% is the co-insurance portion of your claim, which you are required to pay.

At DesJardins Insurance, we understand that your pet is a part of your family, and should be cared for as such. Get peace of mind for your furry family member with our extensive pet insurance options – learn more about our pet insurance packages, and find out which coverage option is right for you. Get a quote today to get started.

Pet Insurance: Questions & Answers

If you’ve been considering pet insurance for your favourite furry family members, you may be left with a few questions, and not enough answers.

These tips are provided for information and prevention purposes only. They are general in nature, and Desjardins Insurance cannot be held liable for them. We recommend using caution and consulting an expert for comprehensive, tailored advice.

In Quebec, Desjardins Insurance refers to Desjardins General Insurance Inc. In Ontario and Alberta, Desjardins Insurance refers to Certas Direct Insurance Company, underwriter of automobile and property insurance.

Other related articles: