Your province

Skip to Content
null Undergraduate Life: What you Need to Know About Heading Back-To-School

Here are some refresher tips on how to survive another school year:

Driving to school

If you are planning on taking a car to university and have car insurance registered at your family home, you need to contact your insurer and change the address to your new address, whether it’s on or off-campus. It’s important you do this as failing to mention the new address could undermine future claims. As a student with Desjardins Insurance, you can save up to 10 % on car insurance.  In addition, if you are planning to drive to school, most universities and colleges campuses, require you to get a parking permit. These permits can usually be bought online or from your school’s parking services.

Living in the dorms

If it’s your first year at university, you are most likely going to live in residence. Being in the dorms, has many positive benefits such as being close to majority of campus buildings, intramural sports and building lifelong friendships. Each residence has a residence assistant (RA) to help make your experience in residence better by planning events, and helping with any personal issues. They are always a good person to get to know and they want to get to know you better too! Most of the time they will leave their door open to welcome any socializing.  For more dorm tips read our Dorm Life 101 blog post.

Living off-campus

If you are planning to live off-campus, you should invest in tenant insurance. This will help cover the cost of personal property (laptops, textbooks etc.) and will provide widespread liability. With student housing, it’s good to cover your basis. Without tenant insurance, a classmate could injure themselves on your property and you would be financially responsible. Generally, tenant insurance costs under $20 per month, that’s about as much as going to the movies! For more information about tenant insurance, contact one of our licensed insurance advisors and get a quote.

Don’t throw away that course syllabus

For each course you are enrolled in, you will get a course syllabus. Some students like to take a glance at it and chuck it into the nearest recycling bin, however, it is a good idea to keep it nearby and mark important dates in your agenda. Every syllabus is filled with useful information such as the professor’s contact information, their office hours, assigned readings and what is being taught in each lecture.

Meet with your Academic Advisor

Similar to a Guidance Counsellor, Academic Advisors can help with any academic related questions you may have. This is important if you want to change your major, or you’re not sure which courses you should take or if you’re thinking about dropping a course. Ultimately, they can help with career planning and assist with earning your degree.

Be social

Academics are important, but so are friendships. University is a time to make new friends, get involved with clubs and organizations, and find out what you’re passionate about. Your university days will be some of the best times of your life and you want to make memories that are more than just academic related. Make the most of the opportunities available to you.

Related Posts:

Student Budget Planner for First Year University

Student Drivers 101: Should your Teenager Have a Car for University?

Undergraduate Life: What you Need to Know About Heading Back-To-School

September is here which means, it’s back-to-school time! Heading back-to-school can infiltrate a great deal of emotions in us from excitement to seeing your peers again to nerves about your upcoming courses.

These tips are provided for information and prevention purposes only. They are general in nature, and Desjardins Insurance cannot be held liable for them. We recommend using caution and consulting an expert for comprehensive, tailored advice.

In Quebec, Desjardins Insurance refers to Desjardins General Insurance Inc. In Ontario and Alberta, Desjardins Insurance refers to Certas Direct Insurance Company, underwriter of automobile and property insurance.

Other related articles: