Whether you’re travelling to a different province, a different country, or to different continent, there’s one challenge you’ll most likely face before you even set foot in your new vacation destination – packing.
As daunting as it may seem, packing for a trip doesn’t need to turn into a necessary frustration – use these tips to pack smart, so you can focus on what’s important: enjoying your vacation!
- Research your destination, and pack only the essentials.
- Check with your airline for a list of prohibited items and be sure to avoid these when you pack. The Government of Canada also offers a searchable guide to help you find out whether an item is prohibited in carry-on or checked baggage.
- Check the weatherof your destination, and choose your wardrobe accordingly.
- Invest in quality luggage. Choosing high-quality luggage – a set that is able to withstand the wear and tear of cargo transportation – is the first step in making sure your possessions arrive safe and secure to your travel destination.
- Observe baggage restrictions. Before you even beginning the packing process, be sure to check with your airline for size and weight limits on carry-on and checked baggage, and stay within the limits they’ve outlined. That way, you won’t be left paying a hefty fee, or worse – be forced to part ways with your precious cargo.
- Use your luggage space wisely. Observing baggage restrictions also means using the luggage space you do have wisely.
- Keep important documents (such as International Drivers Permits,) valuables (such as electronics and jewellery) and any medications in your carry-on.
- Bring only your favourites. As tempted as you may be to bring your entire closet with you, when it comes to packing smart, the old adage rings true – travel light!
- Roll, don’t fold. You will be able to fit more into your luggage by rolling rather than folding your clothes.
- Pack a change of clothes in your carry-on. It’s easy to get stuck with spills and stains, especially in the tight spaces of an air-plane. Keep a set of clean clothes in your carry-on, so you’ll be equipped with a change of garments if the need arises.
- Another packing trick is to pack your clothes in large, plastic zip lock bags, placing all t-shirts in one bag, all pants in another, etc. Not only will this help you stay organized, but it will make unpacking a breeze, and reduce time spent rummaging around for that lost pair of socks or trousers.
- Choose comfortable shoes. It goes without saying that, as far as shoes go, comfort should trump style – at least to an extent! Choose weather-appropriate shoes that are both practical and fashionable – such as stylish-yet-comfortable sandals for summer – and you won’t be stuck wasting precious luggage space on cumbersome footwear.
- Pack 1 to 3 pairs of shoes – at most. Shoes are undoubtedly some of the bulkiest items in your whole vacation wardrobe, so it’s wise to limit yourself to 3 pairs maximum (including 1 pair of sneakers/athletic shoes for walking).
- Use plastic bags. Plastic bags can also come in handy to prevent your toiletries from leaking all over your clothes and other belongings – once more, zip lock bags work best.
- If you are packing liquids in your carry-on – such as shampoo or perfume – be sure that they are no more than 100 ml per item, and are able to fit into a small transparent bag.
- Don’t bring your entire makeup counter. When packing for vacation, simplicity is key – and that goes for your makeup collection. When it comes to beauty products, pack only the essentials (such as mascara, lipstick and blush) and choose powder over liquid foundation to avoid any potential spills.
While every traveller’s needs are different, and every vacationer has their own packing preferences, the bottom line is simple – when choosing what to bring on your next vacation, less is more!