Accident with collision: What to do?
What to do in 7 steps
Whether you've had a major accident or just a fender bender, we're here to help you through it.
Good to know
The more information you collect at the time of the accident, the faster your claim will be paid.
A police report is required in the following situations:
- Accident with injuries
- If the total damage exceeds $1,000
- If public property is damaged (i.e., tree, pole, lamp post, road sign)
Collision reporting centre (CRC)
This is a free service offered in many Ontario cities.
- If you're involved in a collision that caused more than $1,000 of damage, you must report to a collision reporting centre within 24 hours.
- To locate the nearest reporting centre, call By phone:416-745-3301 or go to Accident Support Services.
Were you or your passengers injured?
Go to the Accident involving injuries section to make a claim.
Make sure you have the following information:
- Your insurance policy number or your auto insurance certificate
- Your CRC report, where applicable
- The other driver's contact information:
- Name of the driver and the owner of the vehicle
- Telephone numbers
- Policy number and name of the insurance company
- Driver's licence number
- Description of the vehicle (year, make and model, licence plate no.)
- The police report number, where applicable
- A sketch of the accident scene, if possible (may be useful in processing your claim)
- The location where the accident occurred
- The contact information of any witnesses
- The contact information of the towing company and where the vehicle was towed, where applicable
Not sure whether you should make a claim?
To help you with your decision:
- Read Am I covered? to learn more about your auto insurance coverage
- Check out our Frequently asked questions.
- Refer to your insurance policy – also accessible at Online Services
- Call a licensed insurance advisor: we'll explain your coverage and the deductibles that apply
- Remember that if you start a claim online, you can always change your mind
Whether you make a claim online or call to speak to a claims advisor, you can count on the same friendly, efficient service.
- You can file a claim in just 10 minutes—anytime, day or night.
- We open your claim and confirm your insurance coverage as soon as you complete the online form.
- You can book an appointment online with one of our recommended body shops and find out if you’re eligible to use our photo estimation feature.
- Remember you can always get in touch with your claims advisor.
The claims department advisor who takes your call will:
- Take your full statement on the circumstances of the incident
- Check your insurance coverage
- Help you to decide where to get your vehicle repaired: choose one of our recommended body shops or your own—and if you’re eligible, you can even use our photo estimation tool
- Tell you which documents to send in or which ones will be sent to you
- Give you your claim number
The call will take about 30 minutes.
As soon as you open your claim online or by phone, we’ll assign your claims advisor
Your claims advisor has the training and knowledge to handle your claim and advise you throughout the process.
Your claim is analyzed to determine:
- the liability of each driver involved in the accident
- the scope of your coverage
After analyzing the circumstances of the accident, we'll inform you of the liability assigned to you.
Note: For accidents that occur in Ontario between at least 2 vehicles whose owners have valid insurance, liability is determined using the direct compensation for property damage principle found in the Ontario Fault Determination Rules.
The damage assessment process determines:
- whether your vehicle can be repaired, i.e., if the cost of repairs does not exceed the value of the vehicle
- how long the repairs will take
If you choose one of our recommended body shops
- The process is simplified because of our existing agreements
- The body shop will assess the damage and send us a report with photographs
- The repairs are guaranteed by the body shop for as long as you own the vehicle and a valid insurance policy with us
If you choose another body shop
One of our appraisers will visit the shop to assess the damage to your vehicle.
If you chose to send photos of the damage
The photo estimation tool gives you instructions on how to take photographs of the damage. You’ll then get an email and a text letting you know to send your photos in the next 48 hours.
After you send your photos, the body shop will assess the damage and then call you to book an appointment for the repairs.
If repairs cost more than the value of your vehicle
This would be considered a "total loss". Depending on your policy coverage, we'll pay you the market value of your vehicle or the amount provided for under your policy.
At this stage, you'll be in direct contact with the body shop
- The body shop will repair your vehicle once it receives authorization from you and your claims advisor.
- Based on your policy coverage, you could be entitled to a replacement vehicle while the repairs are being done. Your claims advisor will confirm the terms and conditions that apply.
- The repair shop will contact you once the work is completed, so you can pick up your vehicle.
The claims advisor will confirm the amount of your deductible, if applicable.
If your vehicle was repaired
By a recommended body shop:
- You pay your deductible directly to the repair shop
- We pay the shop for the repairs
By another body shop:
- You pay your deductible directly to the body shop
- We send you a settlement cheque that must be endorsed by all the beneficiaries before you give it to the body shop
- Make sure you're satisfied with the work before settling the bill
If your vehicle was declared a total loss
We'll send you your settlement cheque as soon as we receive all the documents required by your claims advisor. The cheque must be endorsed by all beneficiaries.
Once the liability for the accident has been determined and all the payments have been made, your claim will be closed.
We hope your claim will be settled to your satisfaction.
Find a recommended provider
Is immediate action required? Choose from our network of recommended providers. We take care of everything, and you get top quality service.
Car or recreational vehicle
- Auto glass
- Body shop
- Car rental
Reasons to choose a recommended body shop
- 24/7 vehicle towing
- Accurate damage appraisal using state-of-the-art technology
- Repairs are done by an experienced team and guaranteed by the body shop for as long as you own the vehicle and have an insurance policy in force with us
- The body shop is entirely and solely responsible for work done.
- The information provided on this page is meant for informational purposes only. Full details regarding coverage and exclusions can be found in the insurance policy, which always prevails. Certain conditions, limitations and exclusions may apply.