Ground water damage and sewer back-up
Get a quote now!
Determine how much coverage you need
Protection against Ground water damage and sewer back-up (excluding flood caused by the overflow of a body of water) (Endorsement 16c) is one of the most important coverages on your home insurance policy. Do you have enough coverage?
How much coverage do you need for ground water damage?
- How much are the contents of your basement worth? Do you have a home theatre, sound system, furniture, seasonal items or tools in your basement?
If you’re a homeowner, think about the cost of:
- Restoring damaged walls and floors (drying, disinfecting, cleaning and renovating)
Do you need additional water damage coverage?
Simply contact an insurance agent to make a request.
Examples of situations that can cause water damage
- Heavy rain could cause municipal sewers to overflow, allowing water to back up into the below-ground pipes that lead to your toilet, shower, laundry tub or floor drain.
- Your sump pump breaks down, causing water from the retention tank to overflow and damage items in your basement.
- Tree roots can block up your subsoil drainage pipe and cause water to seep through the foundation.
- Heavy rain can leave pockets of ground water that then flow through the windows into your basement.
Tips on preventing water damage
- Repair cracks in your foundation
- Direct gutter runoff away from the house
- Be sure that the ground around the foundation slopes away from the house so water can't accumulate
- Make sure your basement's plumbing includes:
- one or more check valves
- a sump pit pump to remove water that accumulates in the sump tank
- Information provided is for illustrative purposes only and does not constitute or replace the advice of experts. All verifications should be conducted safely and, if required, by a skilled professional.
- Desjardins Insurance assumes no liability in connection therewith.