Skip to Content

Home insurance for condominium unit owners (condo insurance)

New quote for condo owners

Get a quote now!

Insurance type


Insurance type

Home insurance is a must for condominium unit owners like you. It’s essential to protect what your condo corporation’s policy doesn’t: your personal property and improvements to your unit. Home insurance also covers your liability in case of accidental damage to third parties.

Property Damage Coverages with All-risk Insurance

The advantage of all-risk insurance over other types of insurance is that it covers most accidents that could damage your property, including if:

  • Your condo is destroyed by fire
  • Someone breaks into your condo while you’re on vacation
  • Your dishwasher or washing machine breaks and causes water damage


It also covers accidents people don't think of when buying insurance. For example:

  • Your fridge falls down the stairs on moving day
  • Your entertainment unit collapses because you didn’t put it together right, and your TV and DVR crash to the ground
  • You kick over a bucket of paint onto your couch
  • You drop your laptop and it breaks

In addition to covering your property, all-risk insurance also covers improvements to your condo, such as upgrades to your unit’s cabinetry.

Additional living expenses

In the event of an insured loss, like a fire or water damage that forces you out of your home, Desjardins Insurance covers your additional living expense.

  • Additional living expense are the extra costs you have to pay because you can’t stay in your home during repairs.

Liability Coverages for condo owners

Liability Coverages protect you if you’re responsible for accidentally injuring others or damaging their property, for instance:

  • You accidentally damage someone else's property (for example, your bathtub overflows and causes water damage to the neighbour's home below).
  • You leave a candle burning and it starts a fire that damages your unit and the fire spreads next door.
  • Your pet injures someone (e.g., your dog bites a visitor).

Your Liability Coverages also cover defense expenses related to bodily injury and property damage lawsuits.

Basic protection is $1 million. You can increase this amount up to $5 million under certain conditions.

Additional insurance coverage

You can also get additional home insurance coverage tailored to your needs.

H2O+ Protection

Covers you against damage caused by sewer back-up, water seepage and floods.

Show more

Escape of fuel oil (Endorsements 46b and 46c)

Covers damage caused by fuel oil spillage and covers soil decontamination.

Show more

See additional coverage details


Good to know

When you travel, your condominium insurance policy covers your property and your liability no matter where you are in the world.

Read our keys to prevention to find out how you can protect your property against water damage, weather damage and natural disasters.

Practical assistance service

Your home insurance policy with us comes with Desjardins Identity Theft Assistance at no additional cost.

  • The information provided on this page is meant for informational purposes only. Full details regarding coverage and exclusions can be found in the home insurance policy, which always prevails. Certain conditions, limitations and exclusions may apply.

See how easy it is to protect your condo with our condominium insurance!

Get a home insurance quote now

Speak with a licensed insurance advisor By phone: 1-877-699-9923

Remember my renewal dates