A condominium insurance policy is essential to protect what your condo corporation’s policy doesn’t.
Available for purchase online, insurance for condominium unit owners covers your personal property and improvements to your unit. It also covers your liability in case of accidental damage to third parties.
Property damage coverages with all-risk insurance
The advantage of all-risk insurance over other types of insurance is that it covers most accidents that could damage your property, including if:
- Your condo is destroyed by fire
- Someone breaks into your condo while you’re on vacation
- Your dishwasher or washing machine breaks and causes water damage
It also covers accidents most people don't think of when buying insurance. For example:
- Your fridge falls down the stairs on moving day
- Your entertainment unit collapses because you didn’t put it together right, and your TV and DVR crash to the ground
- You kick over a bucket of paint onto your couch
- You drop your laptop and it breaks
In addition to covering your property, all-risk insurance also covers improvements to your condo, such as upgrades to your unit’s cabinetry.
Liability coverage for condo owners
Liability coverage protects you if you’re responsible for accidentally injuring others or damaging their property, for instance:
- You accidentally damage someone else's property (for example, your bathtub overflows and causes water damage to the neighbour's home below).
- You leave a candle burning and it starts a fire that damages your unit and the fire spreads next door.
- Your pet injures someone (e.g., your dog bites a visitor).
Your Liability coverages also cover defense expenses related to bodily injury and property damage lawsuits.
Basic liability insurance protection is $1 million. You can increase this amount up to $5 million under certain conditions.
Additional condo insurance coverage
You can also get additional condominium insurance coverage tailored to your needs.
Water damage protection
Covers you against damage caused by sewer back-up, water seepage and floods.Show more
Swimming pool and hot tub (Endorsements 33a or 33b)
Protects your above ground, semi-inground or inground swimming pool or hot tub against certain types of damage caused by things like freezing or the weight of ice or snow.Show more
Escape of fuel oil (Endorsements 46b and 46c)
Covers damage caused by fuel oil spillage and covers soil decontamination.Show more
Good to know
When you travel, your condominium insurance policy covers your property and your liability no matter where you are in the world.
Read our keys to prevention to find out how you can protect your property against water damage, weather damage and natural disasters.
Practical assistance service
Your home insurance policy with us comes with Desjardins Identity Theft Assistance at no additional cost.
- The information provided on this page is meant for informational purposes only. Full details regarding coverage and exclusions can be found in the home insurance policy, which always prevails. Certain conditions, limitations and exclusions may apply. Online insurance purchase is available subject to our underwriting policies. Limitations and exclusions apply.