Home insurance for tenants
Get a quote now!
All-risk insurance to protect your property
The advantage of all-risk insurance over other types of insurance is that it covers most accidents that could damage your property, including if:
- Your apartment is destroyed by fire
- Someone breaks into your apartment while you’re on vacation
- Your dishwasher or washing machine breaks and causes water damage
It also covers accidents people don’t think of when buying insurance. For example:
- Your fridge falls down the stairs on moving day
- Your entertainment unit collapses because you didn’t put it together right, and your TV and DVR crash to the ground
- You kick over a bucket of paint onto your couch
- You drop your laptop on the floor and it breaks
It also covers the personal belongings you keep in the outbuildings (garage, shed, etc.).
Liability insurance protects you if you’re responsible for accidentally injuring others or damaging their property, for instance:
- You accidentally damage someone else's property (for example, your bathtub overflows and causes water damage to the neighbour's home below).
- You leave a candle burning and it starts a fire that damages your apartment and the fire spreads next door.
- Your pet injures someone (e.g., your dog bites a visitor).
Your liability insurance also covers defense expenses related to bodily injury and property damage lawsuits.
Basic protection is $1 million. You can increase this amount up to $5 million under certain conditions.
You can also get additional insurance coverage tailored to your needs.
Covers you against damage caused by sewer back-up, water seepage and floods.Show more
Pool, hot tub, spa and sauna (Endorsements 33a or 33b)
Protects your pool, hot tub, spa or sauna against certain types of damage caused by things like freezing or the weight of ice or snow.Show more
Fuel oil leaks (Endorsements 46b and 46c)
Covers damage caused by fuel oil spillage and covers soil decontamination.Show more
Good to know
When you travel, your home insurance policy covers your property and your liability no matter where you are in the world.
Read our keys to prevention to find out how you can protect your property against water damage, weather damage and natural disasters.
Practical assistance service
Your home insurance policy with us comes with Desjardins Identity Theft Assistance at no additional cost.
- The information provided on this page is meant for informational purposes only. Full details regarding coverage and exclusions can be found in the insurance policy, which always prevails. Certain conditions, limitations and exclusions may apply.