Skip to Content

Home insurance for tenants

You can buy tenant insurance coverage from Desjardins Insurance directly online!

Get a quote now!

Tenant insurance is a must for renters like you.

Not only does it protect your personal property against fire, theft and vandalism, but it also covers your liability if you're responsible for accidentally injuring others or damaging their property. Now can buy your tenant insurance online!

Property Damage Coverages with All-risk Insurance

The advantage of all-risk insurance over other types of insurance is that it covers most accidents that could damage your property, including if:

  • Your apartment is destroyed by fire
  • Someone breaks into your apartment while you’re on vacation
  • Your dishwasher or washing machine breaks and causes water damage

Our renter insurance coverage also covers accidents people don’t think of when buying their insurance policy. For example:

  • Your fridge falls down the stairs on moving day
  • Your entertainment unit collapses because you didn’t put it together right, and your TV and DVR crash to the ground
  • You kick over a bucket of paint onto your couch
  • You drop your laptop on the floor and it breaks

It also covers the personal belongings you keep in the outbuildings (garage, shed, etc.).

Additional living expenses

In the event of an insured loss, like a fire or water damage that forces you out of your home, Desjardins Insurance covers your additional living expense.

  • Additional living expense are the extra costs you have to pay because you can’t stay in your home during repairs.

Tenants liability coverage

Liability coverage protects you if you’re responsible for accidentally injuring others or damaging their property, for instance:

  • You accidentally damage someone else's property (for example, your bathtub overflows and causes water damage to the neighbour's home below).
  • You leave a candle burning and it starts a fire that damages your apartment and the fire spreads next door.
  • Your pet injures someone (for example, your dog bites a visitor).

Your Liability coverages also cover defense expenses related to bodily injury and property damage lawsuits.

Basic protection is $1 million. You can increase this amount up to $5 million under certain conditions.

Additional tenant insurance coverage

Get coverage tailored to your needs.

Water damage protection

Covers you against damage caused by sewer back-up, water seepage and floods.

Show more

Swimming pool and hot tub (Endorsements 33a or 33b)

Protects your above ground, semi-inground or inground swimming pool or hot tub against certain types of damage caused by things like freezing or the weight of ice or snow.

Show more

Escape of fuel oil (Endorsements 46b and 46c)

Covers damage caused by fuel oil spillage and covers soil decontamination.

Show more

See additional coverage details


Good to know

When you travel, your tenant insurance policy covers your property and your liability no matter where you are in the world.

Read our keys to prevention to find out how you can protect your property against water damage, weather damage and natural disasters.

Practical assistance service

Your home insurance policy with us comes with Desjardins Identity Theft Assistance at no additional cost.

  • The information provided on this page is meant for informational purposes only. Full details regarding coverage and exclusions can be found in the home insurance policy, which always prevails. Certain conditions, limitations and exclusions may apply. Online insurance purchase is available subject to our underwriting policies. Limitations and exclusions apply.

See how easy it is to protect your apartment with our Tenants insurance!

Get a tenant insurance quote now

You can also buy your insurance online!

Speak with a licensed insurance advisor By phone: 1-877-699-9923

Remember my renewal dates