Your province

Skip to Content

Homeowners insurance

Get homeowners insurance coverage from Desjardins Insurance for all your residential insurance needs.

Get a quote now!

Insurance type


Insurance type

Your house may be your biggest investment – make sure it’s well protected.

Whether you call it house insurance, residential insurance or homeowner insurance, if you own a house, you need to insure it.

Homeowner insurance coverage protects your house and belongings against things like fire, theft and vandalism. It also covers your liability if you accidentally injure someone or damage their property.

Protect your property with all-risk insurance

We don’t just cover some risks, we cover most accidents that could damage your property. Here are a few examples:

  • A chimney fire spreads to the rest of your house
  • Someone breaks into your home while you’re on vacation
  • Your dishwasher or washing machine breaks and causes water damage


Our all-risk Homeowners insurance covers accidents people don't usually think of when buying insurance. For example:

  • Your fridge falls down the front steps on moving day
  • Your entertainment unit collapses because you didn’t put it together right, and your TV and DVR crash to the ground
  • You kick over a bucket of paint onto your carpet
  • You drop your laptop on the floor and it breaks

All-risk insurance from Desjardins covers your house and any outbuildings (garage, shed, etc.).

Additional living expenses

In the event of an insured loss, like a fire or water damage that forces you out of your home, Desjardins Insurance covers your additional living expenses.

  • Additional living expenses are the extra costs you have to pay because you can’t stay in your home during repairs.

Liability coverage for homeowners

Your homeowner insurance includes liability coverage that protects you if you accidentally injure someone or damage  property:

  • You accidentally injure someone (example: a visitor breaks a leg after slipping on the ice-covered steps to your home).
  • You damage someone else’s property (example: you leave a candle burning and it starts a fire that spreads next door).
  • Your pet injures someone (example: your dog bites a visitor).

Your liability insurance also includes coverage for legal fees if someone files a bodily injury or property damage lawsuit against you Basic protection is $1 million. You can increase this amount up to $5 million under certain conditions.

Optional coverage
Homeowners insurance

Customize your policy. Add the extra coverage you need to protect your home:

Water damage

Get additional water damage coverage for sewer back-up, water seepage and floods.

Swimming pool and hot tub

Protect your above ground, semi-inground or inground pool or hot tub from damage caused by ice and snow.

Escape of Fuel Oil

Get coverage for damage caused by a fuel oil spill.

See all optional coverage


Good to know

When you travel, your homeowner insurance policy covers your property and your liability no matter where you are in the world.

Read our keys to prevention to find out how you can protect your property against water damage, weather damage and natural disasters.

Practical assistance service

Your Desjardins Homeowners insurance policy comes with Desjardins Identity Theft Assistance at no additional cost.

  • The information provided on this page is meant for informational purposes only. Full details regarding coverage and exclusions can be found in the home insurance policy, which always prevails. Certain conditions, limitations and exclusions may apply.

See how easy it is to protect your home with our Homeowners insurance!

Get a home insurance quote

Speak with a licensed insurance advisor By phone: 1-877-699-9923

Remember my renewal dates