- Install an alarm system. It is one of the most efficient methods of deterring thieves. And you may save on your home insurance.
- Consider connecting your alarm system to a monitoring center.
- Always lock your doors, even if you only go out for a few minutes.
- Make sure your home is well-lit. A timer on the outdoor lights gives the impression there is always someone at home.
- If you go away for several days, ask a neighbor or friend to drop by your home to pick up the mail and the journal.
- Protect easy-to-access windows. Block horizontal sliding windows with a piece of wood, for example.